Saturday, June 23, 2012

Gettin' busy, so gotta get down

STATUS: if you feel you can't do something, just pretend you're someone who can. Then do what they would do -- Neil Gaiman

Music: Battlenet, Viva La Dirt League
(fan parody music video-->check it on Youtube)

A lot of things building up that need finishing. I've been getting distracted by unneccesary distractions and now it's time to get down to work and get some things finished. Among those are:

1) the final project for YA Fiction Writing from York U. This includes a 2000 word excerpt, which is essentially complete but for minor changes, and the hoop-jumping 750 word 'reflections' piece which, at only 3 double-spaced pages, is too short to be meaningful, but gives the university bureaucrats the feeling that you might have learned something. I'm not sure how exactly as, similar to the Open University courses, there's not enough space to actually tell much about your thought process or give any real insight into your considerations behind the piece.

As I said, hoop-jumping.

2) the other deadline that's creeping up fast is a small art showing (6 pieces) at the Royal College of Physicians. It's an amateur showing for doctors and their families. I don't know much about the details, other than the logistical considerations, but it's a chance to get some artwork to broader viewership and that can't be bad.

We have to drop the pieces in London during the week of July 9-13 and we'll be using that time for a short vacation. But before then I have to get the pieces ready, or at least decide which ones I'll bring. I have a few new ones in the works that would be nice to show, since I haven't finished a new piece in some time. I also have to have time to get them printed / framed, which means I need to decide/finish soon as it can take a week to get the canvas ready--depending on where I go.

3) And then, of course there are the other things that I should be constantly doing. Better managing the business side of things, preping web sites, finishing the storyboarding for a novel.

Anyway, lots to do, so I'd better get to it and, as Neil Gaiman said at a recent Art University commencement addresss -- Make Great Art!

Insight and longevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment