Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Eastercon Blog-a-day 3: Art show

Day 3 of Eastercon 2013 and the main event (for me) is the art show. If you're a connie and haven't seen it... why not?

A nice show this year. Not quite as many biggies as there have been in recent past shows, but some nice work on display nevertheless. Personal favourites at the show were Jim Burns, Andy Bigwood and Chris 'Fangorn' Baker, but there were many others worth mention also.

The auction is held from noon 'til 2pm Sunday and, after the first year, I haven't attended. Maybe it's a case of nerves, maybe I just prefer knowing all the details at once so the excitement or disappointment is over quick, like ripping a bandage off.

Since I'd not sold much in the previous Eastercons, I changed strategy this year. With all the big name competition for selling canvases at this particular con, I decided to focus my attention on smaller items. This year it was desktop acrylic pics. There are several companies that make them and they turn out quite nice. I brought nine different images and set them at the take-home price of £15.

Checking back after the post-auction chaos had settled, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that four of them had sold. Even more pleasant was the knowledge that three of them had multiple bids. This latter bit, for me, is the real measure of worth because it means there's not just someone buying a piece on a whim, but people are actually willing to compete for it.

So, until my artwork becomes more well know at least, I think I've developed a useful strategy for selling at Eastercon. Now it's just up to me to keep learning, improving and making quality pieces that are interesting and inspiring.

Insight and longevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment